Launch Recite Me assistive technology

We are sorry but our website is not supported on your browser.

Please switch to a supported browser to continue using You can see a list of supported browsers below.

Skip to content

Formerly St Helens and Knowsley Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust

Exterior of the Millennium Centre in St Helens

St Helens Urgent Treatment Centre (UTC)


Opening times:
7.00am to 10.00pm (centre will close to new patients at 9.15pm), Monday to Saturday
9.00am to 10.00pm (centre will close to new patients at 9.15pm), Sundays

(Patients can only be booked in up until 9:15pm. We do not accept patients after this time even though we are open until 10.00pm)

Services include:

  • X-ray (Monday to Friday 9.00am to 7.00pm, weekend and bank holidays 9.00am to 5.00pm)
  • Blood tests, by appointment only. Please call 01744 627 400 to book an appointment. View our timetable.

Appointments can be booked, call 111.

A GP is available on-site Monday to Friday, 11.00am to 8.00pm (hours may vary), in addition to the nursing staff.

Contact Details

Millennium Centre, Corporation Street, St Helens, WA10 1HJ
01744 627 400 

What can we treat?

Our team of experienced doctors and nurses can assess and treat a wide variety of illness and injury in adults and children.

What conditions are treated at St Helens UTC?

  • Minor cuts and wounds
  • Minor head injury
  • Minor burns or scalds
  • Bites and stings
  • Suspected simple fractures
  • Coughs, colds and sore throats
  • Rashes and allergic reactions
  • Urine infections
  • Eye injuries and infections
  • Muscle or joint injuries (e.g. sprains and strains)
  • Childhood illnesses (e.g. croup and bronchiolitis)
  • Mild abdominal pain.

Patients will be seen by a triage nurse on arrival.

If an illness or injury that is not considered life-threatening, the patient will be treated at the Urgent Treatment Centre.

If you are unsure where to go for care?

Call 111 free for expert advice. They will assess and can book same day appointments if needed.

Let’s keep our emergency services free for those who need them most. Visit your local pharmacy for minor ailments.

Call your GP for more serious ailments.

If you’re worried about an urgent medical concern call 111.

Go to your Urgent Treatment Centre if you have a minor illness or injury.

How to get to our Urgent Treatment Centre

Car Parking

There is a pay and display car park on Hall Street. This is managed by St Helens Borough Council, please click here for parking charges.

Car Park Type - Pay & Display
Parking Spaces Available - 37
Car Park Post Code - WA10 1DU

Parking permits
Permits are currently not available on this car park.

Restaurants & Retail

Spice of Life Restaurant ​

​​The main restaurant 'Spice of Life' is located in the ORANGE ZONE on the LOWER GROUND FLOOR.
The restaurant is open from 8am until 2.00pm Monday to Friday
The restaurant caters for patients, visitors and staff, and offers a wide choice of hot meals, snacks and hot and cold drinks. The menu changes daily and features seasonal produce

​​Costa Coffee

​​Costa Coffee is located on the GROUND FLOOR
Open 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday.
Costa Coffee provides a range of hot and cold drinks, sandwiches, cakes and snacks.


​​WHSmith is located on the GROUND FLOOR near the main entrance
Open from 8am until 7pm; Monday to Friday
The store sells a wide range of snacks, drinks, newspapers and magazines as well as gifts and cards

​​Cash Machine

​There is a cash machine available in the Spice of Life Restaurant, Lower Ground Floor, at St Helens Hospital.

​Vending Machines

​​There is a vending machine located near to the entrance of Seddon and Duffy Suites. ​

Maps and Floor Plans

Is it an Emergency?

If you're feeling unwell and not sure which NHS service you need, use this guide to help you choose the right place to visit.

When to call 999

Call 999 in a medical emergency. This is when someone is seriously ill or injured and their life is at risk.

Medical emergencies can include:

Call 999 immediately if you or someone else is having a heart attack or stroke. Every second counts with these conditions.

Also call 999 if you think someone has had a major trauma, such as after a serious road traffic accident, a stabbing, a shooting, a fall from height, or a serious head injury.

When to use 111

NHS 111 can help if you have an urgent medical problem and you’re not sure what to do.

Get help online or on the phone

To get help from NHS 111, you can:

  • go to (for people aged 5 and over only)
  • call 111

NHS 111 is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

If you’re Deaf and want to use the phone service, you can use the NHS 111 British Sign Language service available in your country:

You can also call 18001 111 on a textphone.

When to go to A&E

An A&E department (also known as emergency department or casualty) deals with genuine life-threatening emergencies, such as:

  • loss of consciousness
  • acute confused state and fits that are not stopping
  • chest pain
  • breathing difficulties
  • severe bleeding that cannot be stopped
  • severe allergic reactions
  • severe burns or scalds
  • stroke
  • major trauma such as a road traffic accident

Less severe injuries can be treated in urgent care centres or minor injuries units.

When to visit an urgent treatment centre

You can go to an urgent treatment centre if you need urgent medical attention, but it's not a life-threatening situation.

Conditions that can be treated at an urgent treatment centre include:

  • sprains and strains
  • suspected broken limbs
  • minor head injuries
  • cuts and grazes
  • bites and stings
  • minor scalds and burns
  • ear and throat infections
  • skin infections and rashes
  • eye problems
  • coughs and colds
  • high temperature in child and adults
  • stomach pain
  • being sick (vomiting) and diarrhoea
  • emergency contraception

Link to our UTC Page/s

When to speak to a pharmacist

Pharmacies can give treatment advice about a range of common conditions and minor injuries, such as:

  • aches and pains
  • sore throat
  • coughs
  • colds
  • flu
  • earache
  • cystitis
  • skin rashes
  • teething
  • red eye

If you want to buy an over-the-counter medicine, the pharmacist and their team can help you choose.

Antibiotics will not be available over the counter to treat minor conditions.

Minor illnesses

Most common illnesses and problems will get better without the need to visit a doctor and can be treated at home. Click on the links for advice on how to manage your symptoms. 

You can also visit for self-care tips and tools and for advice on how to look after yourself during the winter months.

Is it an Emergency?

Getting Here

Car Parking

Our Services

Our Wards

1 2 3 4 5 A-Z
Feedback Form